Somerset Holiday - Final Evening Walk to Kentsford Farm and St Decuman's Church, Watchet

After finishing dinner, Sal decided that she wanted to go for a final walk up the Mineral Line to Kentsford Farm and then pop up to St Decuman's Well and Church. It was a gorgeous evening so I asked if I could go with her as, from the start of the holiday, the one thing I had really wanted to do was to join her on this trip down Memory Lane. I think she rather hoped I would ask as well because, deep down, she wanted to share it with me too.

There's not really any need for any great  narrative for the walk as the photos tell the full story but what I will say is that it was the most enjoyable thing we did together the whole week. In future, when I am down in Kiveton and Sal's family are recalling their holidays in Somerset, I will know exactly what they are enthusing about and that makes me feel good.

We finished the evening and holiday off nicely with a drink at The Esplanade Club on the harbour front.

All good things must come to an end though and our holiday had certainly been a good thing. I loved every minute of it, we visited some beautiful and interesting places, drank in some fine pubs together, visited some great coffee shops together and had some tremendous laughs together. Even the weather played ball. The house we rented played a big part as well, it felt like home as soon as we stepped through the front door and contained everything we needed for our stay.

Watchet may not be a place many people have heard of, in fact the only people I've ever heard mention it are Sal's family but it suited our needs down to the ground. Most mornings and evenings I went for my "constitutional" down to the harbour and marina, meeting some local character and seeing some amazing sunsets in the process. I felt very sad to say goodbye to the place.

One thing is for sure, this won't be the last time I visit Somerset and dear old Watchet. It won't be Sal's last time either.

The old Mineral Railway Line

Kentsford Farm Entrance

Track to Kentsford Farm

Washford River, Kentsford Farm

Bridges over Washford River

Kentsford farm Outbuilding

Old Motor, Kentsford farm

Woodland near St Decuman's Church

Lynchgate, St Decuman's Well

St Decuman's Well

St Decuman's Well

St Decuman's Church

Final Drinks at The Esplanade Club

Harbour Bar, The Esplanade Club

No comments:

Post a Comment

Balmacara and Skye

 WE had a mixed week of weather but on the whole we managed to stay dry. The only wet day was our second day when Sal stayed in the cottage ...