Hardcastle Crags

A return visit to Hardcastle Crags after my previous one was abandoned due to the car-parks being full. Mind you that was my own fault as I did chose to go slap bang in the middle of the summer holidays.

No such problem this time though as it was early in the year and also midweek so consequently very quiet. So much so that I didn't met a single person on my footpath which ran adjacent to Hebden Water as far as Gibson Mill. Unfortunately the cafe was closed so I just continued on The Hardcastle Crag loop footpath which again followed the beck, passing a few pretty waterfalls and cascades on its way before eventually bringing me back to the mill. The mill pond was crystal clear so I took a couple of photos of the classic reflected view. I was also joined by a robin as I sat on one of the benches having a drink, it was obviously hoping for food but was out of luck. It can blame the mill cafe being closed for that one!

I was treated to lovely woodland scenery which followed the beck on my outward journey but the return from Gibson's Mill was a bit of a trudge as this used a forest road. Looking back, it would have been much better if I'd have followed my outward path by Hebden Beck. This is something I will know for my next visit. I heard a couple of herons and caught a quick glimpse of one through the trees but I had hoped that there would be kingfishers in the beck, it was not to be though.

Hardcastle Crags is another place I need to visit in the autumn as all the trees are native which, on a nice day, would give spectacular colours. I still thoroughly enjoyed my visit despite the lack of refreshments.

Foul Scout Wood

Foul Scout Wood

Hebden Water

Foul Scout Wood

Foul Scout Wood

Hebden Water

Hebden Water

Hebden Water

Hebden Water

Hebden Water

Hebden Water

Foul Scout Wood

Gibson Mill

Gibson Mill

Hebden Dale Waterfall

Hebden Dale Waterfall

Gibson Mill


New Bridge

New Bridge


Robin at Gibson Mill

Robin at Gibson Mill

No comments:

Post a Comment

Balmacara and Skye

 WE had a mixed week of weather but on the whole we managed to stay dry. The only wet day was our second day when Sal stayed in the cottage ...