Arncliffe to Litton stroll

This was a beautiful short walk which I have known about for years but never been on. The day was absolutely gorgeous and if anything I was a bit overdressed. I hadn't walked more than a couple of hundred yards before my jacket came off and I was stuck with carrying it for the rest of the walk.

The walk basically followed an old bridleway out of Arncliffe before meeting up with the River Skirfare. Our dry spring had certainly taken it's toll resulting in very little water in the river. Infact in some places it was no more than a trickle. The stepping stones which are often under water weren't needed as that part of the river had dried up completely.

As I approached Litton I could see people sitting outside The Queens Arms which was strange as all the inns and hotels were still in lockdown. As it turned out, it was the owners and some friends who were just having a coffee in the afternoon sun. We started to have a little chat about the current situation and I asked the owner if I could sit down and have a break before heading back. He kindly went inside and brought  out an ice cool pint of water which was well appreciated.

Feeling refreshed I returned back to Arncliffe by the same route. I suppose I could have walked down the road but where is the fun in that? On any normal day I would have called for a pint in Kettlewell but as this option was still not open to me I just carried on home.

I really must get my OS maps out and see if I can find an alternative route back, maybe there is one on the other side of the Dale. Inspite of the fact that I had to retrace my steps, I thoroughly enjoyed my stroll. It certainly was good to get out into the fields and connect with the wildlife again and the sunshine was a real added bonus.

I was beginning to feel a bit easier about the Covid situation as well as I was starting to despair at the thought that I might not be able to get out in to The Dales at all this year. Still loads of uncertainty of what the future holds though.

Littondale Barn

Littondale Barn

Hay Meadow

Littondale Bridleway

Littondale

River Skirfare

River Skirfare

River Skirfare

Littondale footpath

Hay meadow, Littondale

Hay meadow, Littondale

Bridleway

River Skirfare

Arncliffe-Litton footpath

Arncliffe-Litton footpath

No comments:

Post a Comment

Balmacara and Skye

 WE had a mixed week of weather but on the whole we managed to stay dry. The only wet day was our second day when Sal stayed in the cottage ...