An Autumnal River Lowther

Took these photos on my way up to The Lakes where I was having a catch up with my mate Dave whilst I still can. Covid-19 is rife at the moment in Bradford so I fear that Tier 3 is imminent for the whole of West Yorkshire. This could be the last time I see the Lakes for quite a while.

The autumn colours around these parts were simply fabulous, especially along the banks of the River Lowther. These days the River Lowther originates from the reservoir at Wet Sleddale but in bygone times it would have started on the wet slopes of the Shap Fells and be known as Sleddale Beck. Wet Sleddale is derived from Old Norse 'sletta dalr' which means valley with the flat land, the Wet part speaks for itself! It joins the River Eamont near Brougham and then flows in to the River Eden and out to sea on The Solway Firth.

Askham is a very pretty little village, especially in spring when the village green is awash with daffodils. It is also home to the excellent Punchbowl Inn. As with most things in these parts, it has connections with the Lowther Family who own Askham Hall where the 7th Earl of Lonsdale currently resides. 

I didn't spend too long here as I needed to get to the caravan, get the heating on and warm the place up but my stop whetted my appetite for the coming weekend.

River Lowther

River Lowther

River Lowther

River Lowther

River Lowther

Gone to seed

Woodland Colours

Woodland Colours

Askham Bridge

River Lowther from Askham Bridge

River Lowther from Askham Bridge

River Lowther from Askham Bridge

River Lowther from Askham Bridge

Afternoon Stroll

Gold Leaf

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Balmacara and Skye

 WE had a mixed week of weather but on the whole we managed to stay dry. The only wet day was our second day when Sal stayed in the cottage ...