Local Moorlands in the snow

 One of the things this pandemic has opened my eyes to, is the variety of scenery situated more or less on my doorstep. St Ives Country Park, along with Myrtle Park and the River Aire in Bingley have more or less become my second home and Goit Stock waterfall and woods have also become firm favourites but one area that I have neglected until the last few weeks is the moorland above Thornton and Denholme.

I have visited Ogden Water which sits adjacent to the moors many times, but I have not ventured much further, so the obvious way forward would be to amalgamate both walks. My visit today was curtailed at the stile leading on to the moors and wind farm after I had a conversation with a walker who said the snow had been drifting up to his thighs in places, and the path was very sketchy. With not being familiar with the area, the obvious thing to do was to turn around and retrace my steps back to the car. It was a bitterly cold day anyway, so I was glad to get back to a bit of warmth.

There will be lots more opportunities over the coming months to revisit and explore further.

Broadstones Farm

Foursome

Moorland Trees

Dry-stone walls

The Survivor

Two Becomes One

Threatening Skies

Storm clouds

Moorland Track

Moorland Track

Drifting Snow

Groovy Path

Hollin Hill Wind Farm

Foreside Top

Wind Turbine

Ovenden Moor

Boundary Line

No Entry

Fenced In

Snowdrift

No Parking In Front Of The gate

Moorland Bridleway

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Balmacara and Skye

 WE had a mixed week of weather but on the whole we managed to stay dry. The only wet day was our second day when Sal stayed in the cottage ...