River Skirfare at Arncliffe

 Not a walk as such but just a stroll from the car to stretch my legs. I parked outside the village on the lane over to Malham and walked back via an old bridleway which I should imaging was the main route to the Church at one time. Due to the virus, the church doors were locked which turned out to be a bonus because as I came out of the grounds, I notice a signpost for Hawkswick which was just begging to be explored.

 All paths in Wharfedale and its subsiduary valleys can be classed as beautiful and all have their merits but this one was particularly so. It followed the tree-lined River Skirfare as it meandered down Littondale to eventually meet up with The River Wharfe just outside of Kilnsey. 

The last time I had been in these parts was spring when I walked in the opposite direction to Litton village. The River Skirfare that day had been just about dry, in fact in places it was dry. What a difference a good old British summer had made as the river today was in full flow. 

I followed the path beside the river and through a few meadows until it started to veer towards the road. As I'm not a great lover of road walking (especially if they are narrow twisty country roads), I just retraced my footsteps back to the village.

I did consider having a beer in The Flacon Inn as the door was open but there was no-one about inside. It was a shame really as it would have been nice to sit on the village green in the sun for half an hour and enjoy a nice cool pint. It has always been a bit of a strange pub or should I say its always had a bit of a strange landlord. The last one was a right objectionable sod who made it obvious that he didn't like or want passing trade. Maybe it comes with the territory and the new one is the same!

Road Bridge ovet the River Skirfare

River Skirfare

Arncliffe

River Skirfare

Old Wooden Garage

River Skirfare

Ruined farm Building, Arncliffe

River Skirfare

River Skirfare

Cowside Beck

River Skirfare

River Skirfare

Bridleway to Arncliffe Church

Old Farm Building, Arncliffe

Cowside Beck
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Balmacara and Skye

 WE had a mixed week of weather but on the whole we managed to stay dry. The only wet day was our second day when Sal stayed in the cottage ...