Ardmamurchan Peninsula

For the second day running, I left my hotel with low cloud hovering over the hills and lochs. Fortunately the weather turned out to be the same as the previous days so, by the time I had travelled the ten or so miles to Loch Eil, the cloud was slowly being burned away by the warm sun. I stopped to take some photos and then headed westwards.

Ardnamurchan is probably the most remote of all West Highland Peninsulas, mainly because the only access route from Salen is a winding single-track road that runs along the shore of Loch Sunart for much of its length. The journey passed thorough ancient oakwoods and around every bend in the road, views of the Loch revealed themselves. The journey also took me past The Natural History Centre, where I stopped for a coffee and a slice of orange cake as per usual.

I then left the oakwoods by the loch shore and begin the climb up and round Ben Hiant which is an ancient volcano, stopping at the Camas Nan Geall viewpoint where I go at magnificent views across the Sound of Mull to the northern tip of Mull and the Isle of Coll beyond. The landscape had changed to open moorland, which continued all the way down to Kilchoan where I turned off for Sanna Bay.

Ardnamurchan’s geology is quite unique and on the drive out to Sanna Bay, you find yourself in the centre of a huge and ancient volcanic crater, whose ring dyke encloses the road for much of the way from Kilchoan. Unfortunately, I couldn't find a spot for a photo which would do it justice, I think the only way to do that would be an areal photo.

The northern coast of Ardnamurchan from Sanna Bay in the west to Kentra Bay in the east is designated as a National Scenic Area, and it's easy to see why. Lots of sandy beaches and rocky coves litter the area, and it is renowned for its large population of eagles and sightings of Dolphin pods is a daily occurrence.

The drive across had been accompanied by beautiful blue skies, but a mile or so from the coast this changed to a sea haar, and it stuck there the whole time. In a way it made a nice change and I was able to get some different photos of the area, but having said that, I did miss the sun and clear skies. 

On my way back to Fort William, I made the customary stop at the Glenuig Inn on the shore of Loch Ailort and then finished my day off with a couple of pints sat outside my hotel right next to The Caledonian Canal.

So that was the end of my three-day break. It felt great to get back here again, as I hadn't been up this way since last September. As I write this blog, mine and Sal's week in Gairloch is only a few days away, and I can't wait to get back up there and re-visit some of the places I really love and connect with.


Loch Eil

Loch Eil

Loch Eil

Loch Eil

Loch Eil

Camus nan Geall, Ardnamurchan

Camus nan Geall, Ardnamurchan

Camus nan Geall, Ardnamurchan

Sanna Bay

Sanna Bay

Sanna Bay

Sanna Bay

Sanna Bay

Sanna Bay


Glenuig

Glenuig

Glenuig

Glenuig

 

2 comments:

  1. what a beautiful tale you tell Norman and stunning photos as usual.
    btw did you see any dolphins?-or seals maybe?

    thanks for sharing and look forward to you and Sals next adventure

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. not this time, I saw a pod a couple of years ago at Sanna Bay, it was magic :-)

      Delete

Balmacara and Skye

 WE had a mixed week of weather but on the whole we managed to stay dry. The only wet day was our second day when Sal stayed in the cottage ...