Back to The Highlands

 It had been a long time, much too long a time since I was last in The Highlands, and it certainly felt great to be back. I was only up there for three nights but managed to do what I had planned to do, plus the weather was very kind to me. The only time it let me down was on my day out to Sanna Bay on the Ardnamurchan Peninsula where there was a sea haar which was OK for photography but a bit grim for coastal exploration.

On my drive up, I made a detour into The Trossachs National Park, visiting Loch Ard and Loch Chon before going over The Duke's Pass to Callander. The pass was originally built by the Duke of Montrose in the 19th century to improve access to his estate, and was later upgraded to accommodate the Victorian tourists drawn to the area after the publication of Sir Walter Scott's epic poem 'The Lady of the Lake' which celebrates the beauty of Loch Katrine. It may not have been as impressive as some of the higher passes, but what it lacked in that, it made up for in sheer beauty.

I also made a detour along the far side of Loch Tulla, and it was there where I got my first cleg attack, no midges but loads of clegs. Fortunately, I had given myself a good spraying of Smidge, so the little blighters were just bouncing off me.

I arrived at The Moorlands Hotel at Banavie early evening, settled in to my room and then had a short stroll along the Caledonian Canal's towpath. After driving for so long, it took my legs a short while to get going, but I still thoroughly enjoyed my walk in the late evening sun. 

Had a couple of beers sat outside on the hotel's patio which overlooked the canal and just watched the world go by. I can't see me staying in Fort William again, this place was perfect for my needs.

 https://twitter.com/BBCSpringwatch/status/1430439807747072001?s=20

The Trossachs

Loch Ard

Loch Ard

Loch Ard

Loch Chon

Loch Chon

The Trossachs

The Duke's Pass

The Trossachs

Ben Dorain

Loch Tulla

Loch Tulla

Loch Tulla

Loch Tulla

Loch Tulla

Loch Tulla

Loch Tulla

Loch Tulla

Caledonian Canal at Banavie

Caledonian Canal at Banavie

Caledonian Canal at Banavie

Caledonian Canal at Banavie

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Balmacara and Skye

 WE had a mixed week of weather but on the whole we managed to stay dry. The only wet day was our second day when Sal stayed in the cottage ...