An Autumn Tour of The Lakes

Some photos from various Lake District locations which were take last October during a drive out in the car. My route firstly took me down to Ullswater via the Matterdale and the Aira Force road. I didn't stop at the Force but carried on down to the Lake. 

My first stop was at Mossdale Bay near Glencoyne, for a walk down to the shore and then through the woods to the boat house where there were, as the photos show, some beautiful autumn colours.

As I neared Brothers Water, the reflection looked absolutely perfect to I parked up at set off along the riverside path. The Lake was only about a half mile from where I parked but in the short time it took me to get there, the reflections had all but disappeared!

Feeling rather disgruntled, I went over The Kirkstone Pass and down to Windermere where I followed the Lake down to Newby Bridge before stopping at The Lakeside and Haverthwaite Railway for a coffee and a bite to eat. I had intended travelling on the steam train but, true to form, my luck was out and the railway line had closed for the season. 

Feeling even more disgruntled, I drove up the west side of Windermere, through some beautiful autumn woodland, and then had a short stop at Esthwaite Water before heading back to the caravan. Instead of staying on the main road through The Lakes, I took the small back road round Thirlmere, where I got some lovely reflections of the Helvellyn fells in the reservoir so all was not lost.

All in all, a long day which hadn't gone exactly as planned but still very enjoyable. 

Blencathra

Aira Beck

Aira Beck

Ullswater Reflection

Ullswater Reflection

Mossdale Bay

Sheffield Pike

Ullswater

Ullswater Boathouse

Tree Fungi

Ullswater

Ullswater Reflection

Ullswater Reflection

Ullswater

Ferns on branch

Esthwaite water

Esthwaite water

Thirlmere

Thirlmere

Thirlmere

Thirlmere


No comments:

Post a Comment

Balmacara and Skye

 WE had a mixed week of weather but on the whole we managed to stay dry. The only wet day was our second day when Sal stayed in the cottage ...