Àird nam Murchan

 I've been to, and blogged about Ardnamurchan many times so I wont go into the detail again. Basically my route took me across Loch Linnhe via The Coran Ferry and a nice wide road took me past Seal Isle (my name for it) as far as Strontion where I had a coffee sitting outside the local cafe/stores. I usually stop at the Natural History Centre at Glenmore but its season hadn't started which was a shame as it's a great place to stop after the horrors of the 18 mile mainly single track road from Strontian.

The road then rose to Camus nan Geall and around the base of  Ben Hiant, an extinct volcano to Kilchoan. A single track side road then led across the Ardnamurchan peninsula to Sanna Bay and heaven. Not only was it heaven because of its scenery but also because I had the entire place to myself. A few dog walkers did eventually appear but I can live with that. Go in summer and its a completely different place, milling with holiday makers and more akin to the beach at Blackpool!

I spent a few hours there and then headed to the Lighthouse at Ardnamurchan Point. The last time I came, the final half mile of this route was controlled by a traffic light system as it is literally single track with NO passing places and very twisty but, horror of horrors, there was none to be seen. In the end I took my life in my hands and just set off and thankfully met no-one coming the opposite way.

The cafe wasn't open so I had the food I'd brought with me whilst looking across the sound towards The Small Isles and The Isle of Skye. A rocky wilderness on the one side of me and blue seas on the other. After leaving the lighthouse I drove a mile or so to a small coastal settlement called Portuairk which is the most westerly settlement on mainland Britain and was another hidden gem but as it was getting late in the afternoon and I had a long journey back, I didn't stay too long but I will certainly return for a longer visit.

I reluctantly left the peninsula and headed back and broke my journey to Banavie with a customary pint at The Glenuig Inn which is situated in a secluded bay overlooking The Sound of Arisaig. I came here many years ago and nearly died when I was charged a fiver for a pint. However on today's visit, it was the cheapest pint I'd had during my entire break, I think it was about £3.60 for a pint of delicious local ale.

It was then a fast road all the way back to my hotel for a well earned rest and another pint.


Glencoe across Loch Linnhe

Ben Nevis

Cumus nan Geall

The White House

Sanna Bay

Sanna Bay

Sanna Bay

Sanna Bay

Sanna Bay

Sanna Bay

Sanna Bay

Sanna Bay

Sanna Bay

Sanna Bay

Ardnamurchan Point

Ardnamurchan Point Lighthouse

Ardnamurchan Point

The Small Isles

Ardnamurchan Point

Portuairk

Portuairk

Portuairk

Stag


No comments:

Post a Comment

Balmacara and Skye

 WE had a mixed week of weather but on the whole we managed to stay dry. The only wet day was our second day when Sal stayed in the cottage ...