The Road To The Isles

 It was a cold morning and I had hoped there might be a bit of mist on the Loch Sheil but it wasn't to be. The car park at Glenfinnan was already starting to fill and coachloads of tourist were milling about so I didn't bother stopping and instead headed for Arisaig for an excellent cappuccino in the harbour coffee shop. From the outside it doesn't look like anything special but inside it's clean, modern and has a nice little gift shop tucked away in the corner which sells things made by local artists etc.

There was a bitterly cold wind blowing across the harbour so I didn't hang around too long before setting off to my next port of call, the sands and bays of the Morar coastline. The local council had made parking a lot more difficult since my last visit and I can understand why. The last time I came, which was last summer, it was absolutely chaotic and totally gridlocked in places due to ridiculous parking. People were just leaving their cars anywhere irrespective of whether they were blocking the flow of traffic or not. 

Now banking has been built on to most of the roadsides so that only the few carparks can be used. This was perfect for me as it was out of season and quiet but, I hate to think what it will be like in summer when all the visitors turn up and they realise there isn't anywhere to park.

I stopped at my usual beaches, Lon Lath, Camas Rubha a Mhurain, Camusdarach and finally The Silver Sands of Morar beach. All the beaches in this area have wonderful white sands and lots of dramatic rock scenery as my photos show. Out of season it is the most peaceful and relaxing place to be and the views across to Skye, Egg, Rum and Muck add perfection to the scene.

It was then only a few more miles to Mallaig where I had a wander, bought some lunch at a local bakery and then headed back to Banavie via the same route. Glenfinnan was still buzzing with tourists so again I didn't stop but just returned to the hotel and put my feet up for a couple of hours. Evening was spent down at Corpach where I got a quite nice sunset before having my customary couple of beers back at the hotel.

North Face of Ben Nevis

Caledonian Canal at Banavie

Calop Water

Calop Water

Arisaig

Lon Laitrh

Camas Rubha a Mhurain

Beachcombing

Beach Combing

Camas Rubha a Mhurain

Camas Rubha a Mhurain

Camas Rubha a Mhurain

Camusdarach

Camusdarach

Silver Sands of Morar

Silver Sands of Morar

Silver Sands of Morar

Camus Darach

Camus Darach

Caledonian Canal and Ben Nevis

Ben Nevis

Sunset from Corpach


No comments:

Post a Comment

Balmacara and Skye

 WE had a mixed week of weather but on the whole we managed to stay dry. The only wet day was our second day when Sal stayed in the cottage ...