Loch Arkaig and Glen Nevis

A local day as I'd covered a fair few miles during my short stay plus I had a long drive home the next day. 

I took the back road out of Banavie which eventually brings you out at The Commando Monument at Spean Bridge but turned off it part way along to take me to Clunes on the banks of Loch Lochy. 

I then headed along The Mile Dorcha (The Dark Mile) to Eas Chia-aig waterfall at Loch Arkaig. The dark mile go its name from the fact it is a narrow wooded valley which gets very little sunshine, thus the walls are all thickly covered in mosses. Legend has it that when Bonnie Prince Charlie fled Scotland, he burried a stash of gold which the French had sent him to finance the 1745 rebellion and, to this day, it has never been found. 

My afternoon was spent down Glen Nevis, walking down by The Waters Of Nevis and then going up to The Lower Falls. The photos give a better insight than my words would but, sufice to say, there is no more beautifull valley than Glan Nevis when the sun is shining and there are no bloody midges biting you!

I returned to my hotel and had a few drinks sat by the side of The Caledonian canal. The perfect end to a very enjoyable day and visit.

Through The Trees

Caledonian Pines, Loch Lochy

Eas Chia-aig, Loch Arkaig

Mamores from Glen Nevis

Mamores from Glen Nevis

Glen Nevis

Glen Nevis

Waters of Nevis

Top of The Ben

Glen Nevis

Glen Nevis

Glen Nevis

Glen Nevis

Glen Nevis

Distand Ben Nevis at Sunset


No comments:

Post a Comment

Balmacara and Skye

 WE had a mixed week of weather but on the whole we managed to stay dry. The only wet day was our second day when Sal stayed in the cottage ...