Derwent Valley, Castleton and The Devil's Arse!


I had this day out and took these shot's at the beginning of June when all the rape was in bloom in the fields above High Bradfield. The cloud cover was kind to me as well, letting the sun burst through intermittently,  lighting up the yellow fields beautifully.

I love this area which is on the edge of The Peak District and can't thank Sal enough for introducing me to it. The view over Bradfield Dale to the distant Derwent Edge is one of our favourites and has to be one of the loveliest in the area. Coupled with this are a pair of nice pubs, a beautiful Church and a brewery which makes Bradfield an ideal stopping off point. No pubs for me today though.

Sal had often mentioned The Derwent Valley so I thought I'd go and have a bit of an explore and then drive on to Castleton. The moor road over to the main A57 passing Strines resounded with the call of the Curlews so I presumed it was their mating season. I love their call, it is an unmistakable, plaintive, and lonely 'cour-leee' from which apparently it derives its name.

The sun came out in The Derwent Valley so I parked the car up and went for nice walk along the permissive path which the Water Authority had kindly constructed. This area is a  magnet for cyclists and so was very busy. I tried to get a spot in the large carpark at the head of the reservoir so I could have another walk up there as well but it was chocca; the sunshine had certainly drawn out the crowds. Giving it up as a bad job, I made my was across to Castleton via Ladybower Reservoir. The Derwent Valley is an area I will definitely be going back to in the future and hopefully with Sal.

 I usually have a walk up into Cave Dale when I am in Castleton with the hope of having some decent light to get some photographs but the cloud won the day again. Cave Dale is a fascinating place, it's like a small limestone canyon and seems totally out of place in this area. It's more Yorkshire Dales scenery and wouldn't be out of place in the Malham or Three Peaks area.

I also had a walk up the the Devil's Arse or to give it it's Sunday name, "The Peak Cavern" which is a massive show cave at the rear of the town. Unfortunately the guided tour lasted an hour and I'd only put two on my parking ticket which had mostly been used up. The Devil's Arse was something else I'd have to leave for another day.

I'd had a good full day out though and also had better weather than I anticipated. Enjoy my photos.

Above Bradfield

Above Bradfield

Above Bradfield

Distant Derwent Edge from Bradfield

Above Bradfield

Road to Bradfield

Above Strines

Above Strines

Derwent Reservoit

Derwent Reservoir

Derwent Reservoir

The Devil's Arse, Castleton

Castleton

Castleton

Cave Dale, Castleton

Cave Dale, Castleton

Storm clouds above Castleton

3 comments:

  1. Gorgeous images Norm! I must get to Castleton! You made it look magical!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Pennine Way starts only a few miles from Castleton Laura :)

      Delete
  2. Cracking pictures here and it's tempting me away from my three peaks blog back to the Peak District. Really enjoy your blog.

    Stephen

    ReplyDelete

Balmacara and Skye

 WE had a mixed week of weather but on the whole we managed to stay dry. The only wet day was our second day when Sal stayed in the cottage ...