Being in the right place.


When out with my camera in the Lakes, truly magical moments are often entirely unplanned and require simply being in the right place at the right time. This was such a day. It had been a dull one and I'd been round to Rannerdale near Buttermere to photograph the bluebells. There had been very few breaks in the cloud and also the display of bluebells was very poor; I think I may have been a couple of weeks too early for them. Being in the area gave me the opportunity to call in the Kirkstile Inn and sample their excellent Loweswater Gold so all was not lost!

Coming out of Keswick on my way back to the caravan site, the cloud broke to the west lighting up Skiddaw and Latrigg beautifully, just long enough for me to find a lay-by to take a few shots. Encouraged by this I made a short detour to Castlerigg Stone Circle where in the right conditions, the evening light and shadows can be extremely good.

What I was greeted with was really beyond my wildest dreams. A rain shower down the Naddle Valley along with the late sun produced an incredible double rainbow over the stone circle. It lasted for about 10 minutes before fading.

I waited to see if a sunset would develop but there was just too much cloud about but I suppose you can't have everything. It was an half hour I will remember for a long time.


Skiddaw

Latrigg

Castlerigg Stone circle

Castlerigg Stone circle

Castlerigg Stone circle

Castlerigg Stone circle

Skiddaw from Castlerigg

Cloud changing over Helvellyn

Last of the light on Helvellyn

1 comment:

  1. Am very much enjoying your site. These photographs in particular are stunning, it's always magical when the light comes!

    ReplyDelete

Balmacara and Skye

 WE had a mixed week of weather but on the whole we managed to stay dry. The only wet day was our second day when Sal stayed in the cottage ...