Thirlmere, Ullswater and Windermere


These are just some photos I took in the Lakes over the weekend 7th-10th October. I had intended to do a bit more at Thirlmere but a lot of the footpaths were closed due to the havoc Storm Desmond caused and they are now starting to get overgrown, so much so I fear that they may never be re-opened. It will be sad if they are because Thirlmere is one of the few Lakes where you can find a bit of peace and quiet on a busy summer's day.


The photos I took of Ullswater were ones I came across purely by chance. I had set off to come home in clear blue skies and noticed in the distance that there was cloud down over the Lake. By the time I had reached the shores, most of the cloud had started to disperse, giving one those magical mornings which, due to my inability to get out of bed, I usually seem to miss.


A change of plan made it I didn't have to rush back home so I lengthened my day by driving to the bottom end of Windermere to visit Fell Foot and then the Lakeside steam railway. A long drive but totally enjoyable. The photos are in three sections -
  • Beautiful blue skies at Thirlmere, 
  • mist rising over Ullswater and 
  • a bright and breezy afternoon at Fell Foot and Lakeside on Windermere.
Enjoy..


Thitlmere Dam

Commemorative Stone, Thirlmere

Autumn colours, Thirlmere

Naddle Valley from Thirlmere road.

Thirlmere

Thirlmere and Helvellyn Lower Man

Thirlmere

Duke of Portland Boathouse, Ullswater

Duke of Portland Boathouse, Ullswater

Mist Glearing, Ullswater

Gowbarrow Bay, Ullswater

Dead Tree, Fell Foot

Dead Tree, Fell Foot

Lakeside, Windermere

No comments:

Post a Comment

Balmacara and Skye

 WE had a mixed week of weather but on the whole we managed to stay dry. The only wet day was our second day when Sal stayed in the cottage ...