Derwentwater Sunrise

I hadn't been out early with the camera for a couple of years now, maybe its because I'm getting a bit lazy in my retirement. I set of not having decided which lake to make for, should I head for Ullswater which is nearer or should I head for Derwentwater which never seems to let me down no mater when I visit.

I quickly came to the conclusion that Derwentwater was more photogenic and had better viewpoints than Ullswater. Also the fells edging the eastern edge of the Lake were lower than Ullswater's so the sun broke through sooner and with much more impact.

The first few photos I took were from the Crow Park shoreline and then I quickly made my way through the woodland to the boat repair yard where, nearby, there is an old ruined stone pier. These were the best photos I took as the sun had risen above the fells by then and it was illuminating The North Western Fells beautifully.

On my return to Crow Park, blanket cloud was just starting to creep in but I still managed to get a few more photos before the moment had gone and the cloud cover was complete. I then quickly drove down the Borrowdale Valley for a couple of miles to Ashness Landing in the hope of getting some more photos but the conditions weren't good at all so I finally had to admit defeat and return to Keswick for a delicious coffee in Booth's Coffee Shop. Result!

Boy was I glad I had opted for Derwentwater because I was treated to the most perfect of sunrises and one I will remember for a long time to come. Hopefully the success of that photo shoot will expire me to get off of my backside and get out a bit earlier in future.

Pre-sunrise on Derwentwater

Pre-sunrise on Derwentwater

The sun starting to rise above the fells

First sun on Catbells

North Western Fells

Stone pier near the boatyard

Carbells from near the boatyard

Derwent Isle

Derwent Isle

Derwentwater Sunrise

Derwent Isle from the boatyard

Derwent Isle and Catbells

Canoeists on the lake

Derwentwater just before the cloud moved in

The cloud shadow creeping up Catbells

No comments:

Post a Comment

Balmacara and Skye

 WE had a mixed week of weather but on the whole we managed to stay dry. The only wet day was our second day when Sal stayed in the cottage ...