Sun, rain and rainbows on Ullswater.

I had been invited out for a Sunday lunch so time was at a bit of a premium. I couldn't decide whether to go to Derwentwater or Ullswater (nothing new there) and plumped for Ullswater as it was the closest and looked to be just a tad brighter. I made a quick stop off at Mossdale Bay and took a few shots but was eventually beaten by the weather so I carried on to Glenridding.

I had almost given up hope of getting out of the car never mind having a walk but that bit of brightness eventually arrived so I bit the bullet and got kitted out, before making my way out of Glenridding on the partially newly manufactured path to Aira Force.

The path as far as Glencoyne Bay has always been there and this was the section I walked. It more or less followed the shoreline all the way and gave some stunning views up the lake.

The sun came out more of less as soon as I left the village so most of the shots were taken in the first mile and, as it was mainly in wooded areas, I found myself walking on a carpet of vibrant golden leaves for most part. However the sun didn't last for long but, just before it finally disappeared for the day, I caught a glimpse of a fabulous rainbow farther up the lake. Luck was on my side and I was quite close to a large opening up of the view and this enabled me to get some pretty good shots of it.

Pleased with my endeavours, I turned round and briskly retraced my steps back into Glenridding, not caring about the fact I was now getting a good drenching. Time had been getting a bit tight and I had a date with a plate of roast beef, Yorkshire pudding and roast potatoes awaiting me. What better way to spend a Sunday!


Mossdale Bay

Mossdale Bay

Aira Force Path

Mossdale Bay

Mossdale Bay

Mossdale Bay and Norfolk Island

Mossdale Bay and Norfolk Island

Mossdale Bay Boathouse

Fallen tree, Ullswater

Mossdale Bay Boathouse

Aira Force Footpath

Aira Force Footpath

Aira Force Footpath

Ullswater Rainbow

Aira Force Footpath

Ullswater Rainbow

Aira Force Footpath

Taking in the view

A Wet Glenridding Spit

No comments:

Post a Comment

Balmacara and Skye

 WE had a mixed week of weather but on the whole we managed to stay dry. The only wet day was our second day when Sal stayed in the cottage ...