Fleetwith Pike

An old favourite which was done in beautiful sunshine with not a cloud in sight. I parked up at the top of Honister Pass and trudged up the old tramway used for bringing down slate from the mines high up in the fells in days gone by. Once at the rock cutting, known as Drum House, I veered right which brought me into close contact with the ugly quarry workings, one of which is still being used.

Standing in such a wasteland makes it hard to comprehend that just half a mile away stands a cairn which gives one of the most beautiful and iconic Lakeland views in my opinion; the one looking down over Buttermere and Crummock Water with Pillar and The High Stile Range to the left and Dalehead in front. For good measure, you have Haystacks, Great Gable and the Scafells behind you and the Helvellyn Range in the distant left.

The path across the fell top frequently gives enticing views of the grandeur of what is to come once you gain the summit. One in particular is a view down a gully to the Honister Pass road far, far below. A good head for heights and a clam day is needed to get the best photo opportunity but unfortunately it was blowing a howling gale so I kept a safe distance from the edge. The wind was so strong and gusty, it nearly blew me off my feet a couple of times and that is no mean feat I can assure you!

Once on top I found a nice spot in the lee of the wind and had my lunch. A few people came up the ridge from Buttermere but found it too windy to hang around for long, most just took a photo and carried on. One person who did stop for a chat was the author of the Cicerone Press Lakeland Fells Guide books which are an updated version of The Wainwright Guides. The more we spoke the more I got the impression that the only reason that stopped was to blow his own trumpet and plug his online blog!

Thankfully once he had gone I was left with the fell to myself again and took the photos for this blog. The walk back to Honister was by the awful mine road which was very steep and just seemed to go on forever. It kills my hips and thighs every time I walk it and so it was with relief that I finally got back to the car.

All in all it was a grand walk but I had been very surprised and caught out a bit by the gusting wind on the top. It just goes to show that you can't take any walk in the fells for granted, no matter how low and short the walk is. Nice days often have a sting in their tails.

Quarry Working on Dalehead

The Old Tramway

Quarry Waste heap

Quarrying Relics

Old Quarry Workings

Looking down on Honister Pass

First glimpse of Buttermere

Pillar and High Crag

Haystacks and Pillar

Close up of Pillar

Quarry Workings

Quarry Road to Honister Pass

Honister Pass Visitor Centre

Rusty Relic

Old quarry Shed






No comments:

Post a Comment

Balmacara and Skye

 WE had a mixed week of weather but on the whole we managed to stay dry. The only wet day was our second day when Sal stayed in the cottage ...