Back to The Strid

This walk was the last walk I did on the day before lockdown was put in place and I vowed then that it would be one of the first places I would visit once restrictions had been lifted. Once people had more freedom though, they poured back in to the local beauty spots and none were more popular than The Strid and Bolton Abbey so I left this walk until late evening and was rewarded with solitude and some beautiful light.

The Strid looked very benign as we'd had lots of dry sunny weather during lockdown. Seeing it like that hid the dangers that lay withing its waters and it was easy to see why some uneducated people would see the appeal of trying to jump across its narrowest part despite all the warning signs. I heard another cuckoo in Strid Wood, which meant two in a couple of days and I felt quite blessed. The walk in was accompanied by the smell of wild garlic which I suppose is a bit like Marmite, you either love it or hate it and I love it!

Life was beginning to feel a bit more normal but due to restrictions, I was still unable to meet up with Sal. We talked on the phone occasionally and chatted online everyday but there was still a huge hole in my life. Also two holidays had been cancelled, one in Somerset and another in North Wales. Both had been resheduled for next year but we were so looking forward to going back down to Watchet again so it hit us both quite hard.

Still, people have had a lot more problems than I have had and I should really be just be thankfull that I have managed to stay clear of the virus. 

River Wharfe at Barden Bridge

















No comments:

Post a Comment

Balmacara and Skye

 WE had a mixed week of weather but on the whole we managed to stay dry. The only wet day was our second day when Sal stayed in the cottage ...