Tarn Hows - Tuesday 18 October 2011

October's Party

October gave a party; the leaves by hundreds came -
The Chestnuts, Oaks, and Maples and leaves of every name.
The Sunshine spread a carpet and everything was grand,
Miss Weather led the dancing, Professor Wind the band.

The Chestnuts came in yellow, the Oaks in crimson dressed;
The lovely Misses Maple, in scarlet looked their best;
All balanced to their partners and gaily fluttered by;
The sight was like a rainbow, new fallen from the sky.

Then, in the rustic hollow, at hide-and-seek they played,
The party closed at sundown, and everybody stayed.
Professor Wind played louder, they flew along the ground;
And then the party ended in jolly "hands around."

George Cooper


I think that this little poem sums up autumn perfectly.

Below is a set of shots I took a few days ago at Tarn Hows in Cumbria.

The sun was out as I arrived.

The tarn, which is a man made lake, was developed from three smaller tarns - which were known as High Tarn, Low Tarn and Middle Tarn. The stream, which joined these tarns, was dammed during the 19th century to create the present lake. In 1929 Beatrix Potter bought the Monk Coniston Estate which included this tarn and she sold half the tarn to the National Trust and bequeathed the other half to them in her will.Thank God for Beatrix Potter that's all I can say.

Squall over Coniston Old Man

Today was a day of squally showers and I seemed to be stood underneath most of them. The camera was in and out of its case with increased regularity. Fortunately for me there are many trees to take refuge under. Above you can see one of the squalls coming over from The Old Man of Coniston. I would have hated to be stood on the Old Man's summit as I assume the rain would have been falling as hail up there.


Passing shower

On the rare occasions the sun did make an appearance, it changed the whole look and atmosphere of the place. There can't be any better placed in the Lakes than Tarn Hows to experience the beauty of autumn, only Borrowdale comes anywhere near in my opinion.


Another break in the rain.

It took me just short of two hours to walk around the tarn and bearing in mind it is only one and a half miles in distance, it gives a good indication how many times I had to run for cover. Most of the photos I took were just quick snaps and the weather was changing so quickly. There is nothing worse that rain spots on the lens for ruining a photo. I was lucky up to a point as a rainbow seemed to be sitting over the western end on the Tarn most of the afternoon.

The best bit of sunshine

I returned to the car thoroughly drenched which seems to have been the norm in recent weeks and popped down into Coniston to try and find a cash machine. The sun came out so I left my waterproof in the car and I really should have known better. The hail which had been coming off the Old Man most of the afternoon hit me and I promise you it really hurts when you don't have a full head of  hair for protection.

Rainbow over Yewdale

I took solace in the Drunken Duck Inn at Barnsgate and had a lovely relaxing pint of Cracker before setting off home. Looking back at the photographs I took, I think I made the most out of a poor situation. Higher resolution and edited photos of my visit can be seen on my Flick pages .

I hope you enjoy the rest of the photos.

Nearing the top of the Tarm



Another break in the weather



Middle section of the tarn



Rainbow and sunshine



Fallen and dead tree



Hidden corner at the head of the Tarn



The weather closing in



Lovely golden colours.



A break on the way back



Final shot and th erainbow returns

4 comments:

  1. Makes me feel home-sick. I love Tarn Hows and Monk Coniston. I have such happy memories of going there every year with my mum and dad...and now I have happy memories of being there with you. Which all in all makes it a very special place for me :) The pictures are, as usual, beautiful. I never get to the Lakes at this time of year - you are very lucky x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would love to see the lakes in Autumn. Beautiful images Norm.

    ReplyDelete
  3. well at least you will stay dry Sal ;) We had three unforgettable days out and about together didnt we and so much fun.

    Oh and if you do ever come in autumn, just make sure it's not when Laura is there as she attracts worse weather than me ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad you like the images Laura. Tarm Hows is only a mile or so out of Coniston village, you were so near to it.

    ReplyDelete

Balmacara and Skye

 WE had a mixed week of weather but on the whole we managed to stay dry. The only wet day was our second day when Sal stayed in the cottage ...