Brimham Rocks and a swift one


A post-Christmas shopping trip to Harrogate was followed by a drive down Nidderdale and a stop off at Brimham Rocks with the camera.

The day was bitterly cold with a biting wind but after working over the Christmas period and also knowing I was working over the New Year as well, I was just glad to be out with my camera in to the fresh air. The photos aren't anything special but are a record of my day.

This is yet another place where the National Trust rips you off for parking. The minimum charge is four pounds for which you get four hours parking. I can't really see many people spending that length of time here so maybe a two hour period would be more apt albeit not as profitable. I suppose once they've got you there you are stuck with it though.

Brimham Rocks are balancing rock formations and some reach a height of about 100ft. Their formation was caused by the Millstone Grit being eroded by water, glaciation and wind, giving some amazing shapes. Many are named, though you do need a vivid imagination at times and also the correct viewing angle is helpful. Examples are The Sphinx, The Watchdog, The Camel, The Turtle and The Dancing Bear. I think the Dancing Bear is the most realistic but it is also one of the highest and most exposed so the wind just wouldn't allow me to take a decent photo.

The busiest place was the coffee kiosk where the kind lady served me up a piping hot Cappuccino and slice of flapjack which kept me going. The wind was now so severe that I had trouble holding the camera steady and in places, staying on my feet. As time was getting on I beat a hasty retreat to the car and set off for my second destination, The Craven Arms in Appletreewick where I had my Christmas drink. A beautiful pint of Blonde Witch, sat in front of a warm log fire in the best pub in the Dales......heaven!
















































1 comment:

  1. So helpful..thank you I was looking for information to go here with my family this weekend and all that i need to know is on this page! Will also be stopping off at the pub!

    ReplyDelete

Balmacara and Skye

 WE had a mixed week of weather but on the whole we managed to stay dry. The only wet day was our second day when Sal stayed in the cottage ...