Derwentwater



I must apologise for being a bit behind with my photo blogging. These shots of Derwentwater were taken a couple of weeks ago and I just don't seem to have had the time since then to sit down and gather my thoughts.

The caravan site was pretty quiet and none of my close friends were there so I made an early start due to the good weather. I must point out at this stage that an early start for me is about half nine!

The skies were clear which didn't really bode well for photography but bits of fluffy clouds appeared as I made my way down Borrowdale and by the time I had parked up by the Lodore landing stage, the top of Skiddaw was covered.

I was joined by a couple of mute swans, one of which was very accommodating and posed perfectly for my photographs, the other seemed to spend most of it's time with it's head submerged and it's arse stuck up in the air. The Canada Geese proved a bit more troublesome but I find that if you throw a pebble at them and make that scatter, you can get some good "take off" shots. I should clarify this and say I throw the pebble near them at not at them!

The cloud started to lift off of Skiddaw so I replaced my normal lens with a 10mm wide-angle lens and managed to get the whole of the Skiddaw range plus the lifted clouds and lake shore all in one shot. They turned out to be amongst the best shots I've ever taken of this part of Derwentwater.

I love Derwentwater, Sal says it is my "muse" ie my source of inspiration and who am I to argue. All I know is that it very rarely lets me down. Even in the grimmest of conditions I can fine beauty and peacefulness in it. I love to go down there late evening time, long after the day trippers have departed and just sit and listen to it's wildlife and it's waters rippling against the launches and shoreline. Also there can't be many finer views in the whole of the Lakes.


Derwentwater and Skiddaw


Skiddaw
 
Mute Swan
 
Catbells
 
Reflection


Lodore Landing Stage and Skiddaw
 
Wide angled shot of Skiddaw from Lodore
 
Wide angle shot of  Skiddaw and Derwentwater
 
Canada Geese taking flight
 
Swan on the Lake
 
Lodore Landing

Scattering geese on Derwentwater

No comments:

Post a Comment

Balmacara and Skye

 WE had a mixed week of weather but on the whole we managed to stay dry. The only wet day was our second day when Sal stayed in the cottage ...