An inhospitable landscape


This is a series of photos I took coming over the high road from Kirkby Stephen in Cumbria to Keld in Swaledale. It is probably the bleakest road I have been on and I certainly wouldn't like to break down on it. Today the weather was benign and quite pleasant even though there was a cold nip in the air but I have traveled across it in all kinds of weather; mist, rain, gales, the lot! Even the Pennine Way refuses to cross it and, once it has been over Great Shunner Fell, descends into the safety of Swaledale instead of sticking to this high inhospitable ground. I did spend a lot of time sat in the car waiting for the sun to break through the fast moving clouds but the curlews and skylarks kept me company..

 I did made a few friends on my journey as well. The local sheep thought I must have been the farmer bringing their feed and flocked to greet me when I got out of the car to take a photo. They were most bemused and a tad pissed off when they realised I had nothing for them.

I imagine I could travel this road another dozen times before I get light and weather like this so make the most of these photos, they could become collectors items!!


Distant High Pike Hill


Sheiling, Birkdale Common


Looking towards High Seat


Birkdale Common


A case of mistaken identity 1


A case of mistaken identity 2


A case of mistaken identity 3


High Seat and Birkdale Common


Looking back to High Pike Hill


Birkdale Common


Back of Mallerstang Common


Back of Mallerstang Common


Birkdale Common


Birkdale Common with Gt Shunner Fell behind.


Birkdale Common with Gt Shunner Fell behind.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Balmacara and Skye

 WE had a mixed week of weather but on the whole we managed to stay dry. The only wet day was our second day when Sal stayed in the cottage ...