Stockley Bridge

I wonder how many times in their life an active fell walker walks over Stockley Bridge. I've done it more times than I can remember, the first time being over twenty years ago when I made my first ascent of Great End. Whether it be the path up Grains Gill or the path over Sty Head Pass, the end result is the same. You will end up in the middle of the high fells of the Lake District.

This is the start of the walker's route up to The Scafells, Great End, Great Gable and Esk Pike. It is also the start of the route to major crossroads of paths and bridleways. Styhead Pass leading from Borrowdale over to Wasdale, Esk Hause where paths from Great Langdale, Borrowdale, Eskdale and Wasdale meet, all can be attained from this starting point. Throw in Sprinkling Tarn and Sty Head Tarn and its easy to see why it is so popular. Oh and I forgot to mention Taylor Gill Force which is one of the largest waterfalls in the district.

On the day I walked up there it was rather dismal and I fully expected to get a soaking. I had hoped to get a bit of good light to take some photos though but as you would expect, if there is going to be any poor weather in the Lakes, this will be the place you get it as it is surrounded by high fells. I did manage to stay dry though.

I met all sorts of people, both old and young. I also bumped in to a group of middle aged cyclists who arrived at the bridge carrying their bikes and were last seen on the path to Ruddy Gill still carrying them! When they arrived at the bridge they didn't really seem to know which path was which; whether to head over Styhead Pass or go up Ruddy Gill so I didn't have much confidence in them reaching there destination. I had the feeling that they took the Ruddy Gill path solely because it was the flattest. If so, they would regret it further up. Personally I would stick to walking in this area as it is so rocky but then again I'm no cyclist. Also I should imagine that if you are a cyclist, you are so busy looking down at the path, you miss the spectacular scenery that this area has to offer.

I hope they completed their ride safely no matter where they were heading. My photos were nothing spectacular but there will be other days.


Seathwaite

Grains Gill

Thorneythwaite Fell

Grains Gill

Grains Gill and Taylor Gill

Grains Gill


Stockley Bridge

Grains Gill

Grains Gill

Grains Gill

Stockley Bridge

Grains Gill

Grains Gill

No comments:

Post a Comment

Balmacara and Skye

 WE had a mixed week of weather but on the whole we managed to stay dry. The only wet day was our second day when Sal stayed in the cottage ...