Autumn in The Lakes


These are a series of photos I've taken over the last few weeks in the Lake District. The earlier ones were taken in the Thirlmere area a few weeks ago and was well before the trees had really started to properly change colour. I was up again last weekend and autumn has really taken off. The colours in Powterhow Woods and Wythop Woods near Bassenthwaite Lake were absolutely stunning.

My only regret is that I haven't been able to get down Borrowdale this year. I made a vain attempt to go down there last Sunday but the Derwentwater 10 road run was in progress and all the traffic was just about at a standstill. Bad timing on my part.

I cant see me getting up again until the beginning of December and I fear that by then the weather will have taken its toll and most of the leaves will have fallen. So its bye to the most colourful time of year in the Lakes and hello to winter. Hopefully there will be many frosty mornings and misty lakes to photograph plus the odd fall of snow. I know we play hell about our weather but each season has it's merits and its own special conditions and is never boring.


Autumn Leaves

Watson's Dodd

Smaithwaite

Smaithwaite

Smaithwaite

Thirlmere Forest

Headland, Thirlmere

High water level

Pine cones

Hawthorn Berries

Thirlmere Forest

Forest Road

Smaithwaite


Thirlmere

Powterhow Woods

Powterhow Woods

Powterhow Woods

Powterhow Woods

Powterhow Woods

Powterhow Woods

Powterhow Woods

Powterhow Woods

Ullswater

Ullswater

Ullswater Boathouse


No comments:

Post a Comment

Balmacara and Skye

 WE had a mixed week of weather but on the whole we managed to stay dry. The only wet day was our second day when Sal stayed in the cottage ...