An evening stroll along the Leeds-Liverpool Canal

I felt a bit restless late afternoon and, with the weather being beautiful, I felt like I should really take advantage of it. It was too late in the day to go far so I opted to walk from Dowley Gap up to Five Rise Locks on The Leeds-Liverpool Canal. The towpath up until Five Rise was very quiet with just the odd cyclist and dog walker but, as expected, it it was a little busier up by the locks. I just managed to get to the cafe before it closed and sat outside, with an ice cold can of cola, making the most of the evening sun and trying to cool off a bit.

Suitably refreshed, I set off back and on the way I came across what I can only imagine was a water vole. It was swimming close to the far bank but disappeared into some reeds and unfortunately never came back out. It was the first time I'd ever encountered one so subsequently I was too surprised to grab a photo. It certainly made up for me not seeing either a heron or a kingfisher. Mind you the canal will have been busy all day and that alone will have kept them well away as they are both pretty illusive birds at the quietest of times. 

The light and stillness just before I got back to Dowley Gap was the best of the walk and I think this resulted in me taking my best photos of the day.

I can certainly recommend this as a belting way to build up an appetite for a Saturday night curry!


Canal Barge and reflection

Jay

Plant Life Three Rise Locks

Bingley from Five Rise Locks

Five Rise Locks
 
Canal Barge

Evening light on the canal

Evening light on the canal



Canal Reflection

Canal Reflection

Canal Reflection

Canal near Dowley Gap

Queen Anne's Lace

Queen Anne's Lace

Evening light on the canal

No comments:

Post a Comment

Balmacara and Skye

 WE had a mixed week of weather but on the whole we managed to stay dry. The only wet day was our second day when Sal stayed in the cottage ...