The early bird catches the worm.


Up with the lark again and I had a mind to go and seek out some reflections. Ullswater very rarely gives and I've been down Derwentwater more than enough so it was time for somewhere different. The road round Thirlmere, where you can get some cracking reflection, is closed so I plumped on Grasmere. As I drove past Thirlmere I was cursing my luck because the reflections were nigh on perfect.

I suppose the Forestry people have to clear up all the damage caused by Storm Desmond in December 2015 and this is the only safe and viable way of doing it. I read in the local paper that work was being hampered and prolonged by people ignoring the road sign and still parking up and walking in the plantation which, for health and safety reasons, brought their work for the day to a standstill. People can be so thoughtless and selfish at times.

So it was on to Grasmere. This in turn didn't let me down either. For over an hour the reflection was picture perfect. I parked at White Moss and walked around all of the lake which didn't involve any road walking. I should imaging that is a good half of it. It was then an about turn to retrace my footsteps. Unfortunately, by the time I had reached the Loghrigg end of the lake, the ripples had started to appear and a slight breeze had built up so the moment had passed.

On my way round I encounter a cuckoo, was accompanied for the largest part by the smell of wild garlic and was never very far away from the singing of the woodland birds. The only humans I saw was one man sat by the lake getting tucked in to a massive packed breakfast and two women taking their horses for a paddle in the water.

I had arrive at Grasmere at about half eight, taken loads of photos and was on my way back to the caravan for breakfast before ten o'clock which I consider to be a cracking way to start a day!


Wyke Plantation and Silver How

Wyke Plantation and Silver How

Wyke Plantation

Wyke Plantation reflection

Wyke Plantation reflection

Silver How reflection

Silver How and Wyke plantation

Grasmere

Grasmere

Grasmere

Baothouse reflection

Grasmere reflections

Grasmere Boathouse


No comments:

Post a Comment

Balmacara and Skye

 WE had a mixed week of weather but on the whole we managed to stay dry. The only wet day was our second day when Sal stayed in the cottage ...