Barns and Buttercups on The Dales Way.

Bit by bit I seem to be inadvertently completing the whole of the Yorkshire Dales section of The Dales Way! I don't intentionally set out to do it but I usually find myself at some point of the day on some part of the path. Today it was the Hubberholme to Yockenthwaite section which is only a few miles in length but it is an absolutely gorgeous section, especially at this time of year when the meadows are full of buttercups and clover. Hubberholme is a lovely little hamlet and sits at the point where Langstrothdale meets Wharfedale. St Micheal and All Saints Church is open for regular services and the small cemetery in its grounds contain the ashes of Bradford's own J.B. Priestley, a famous novelist, playwright, scriptwriter, social commentator and broadcaster. The church dates mostly from the 12th century, the oak roof however was completed in 1558. The church's oak pews were crafted by Kilburn's Robert Thomson, whose trademark mouse can be found in the woodwork. The George Inn opposite the church, was originally the vicarage for the church.

Surprisingly it was very quiet, I only saw a couple of people and that was as I was setting off. On my return I didn't see anyone at all. The only thing that was missing was a tearoom; I think the owners of the farm at Yockenthwaite are missing out on a good money making venture here. It doesn't need to be anything elaborate; just somewhere to sit, either in or out, and enjoy the surroundings with a hot cuppa in their hands along with perhaps a sample of the baking for which most farmer's wives are famous.

I could have murdered a pint when I got back to my car but, as luck would have it, the pub is only open at selected times and this wasn't one of them. Wish I had a pound for every time that has happened!! 


River Wharfe at Hubberholme

The George at Hubberholme

The Dales Way

The Dales Way

Langstrothdale

Langstrothdale

The Dales Way

The Dales Way

The Dales Way

The Dales Way

Looking back to Buckden Pike

The Dales Way

River Wharfe

Wharfedale Barn

Cascades on the River Wharfe

The Dales Way

A calm River Wharfe

Overhanging Tree

No comments:

Post a Comment

Balmacara and Skye

 WE had a mixed week of weather but on the whole we managed to stay dry. The only wet day was our second day when Sal stayed in the cottage ...