Sanna Bay, dolphins and Adnamurchan Point

I went across to Ardnamurchan Point when I was in the Highlands last year but unfortunately it was rather a dull day so I don't think I saw the peninsula and lighthouse to their best. Also, on researching for last years blog, I came across photos of Sanna Bay and immediately wished that I had visited there as well as it was only a few miles down the coast. It looked like my kind of place; a sweeping sandy bay interspersed with lots of rocky outcrops and quite untouched by civilisation.

So, as the sun was forecast and I had a free week, a room was booked for a couple of nights in Fort William. Also three more nights were added to my trip so that I could go up to Loch Maree and visit what I consider to be the most stunning part of the Scottish mainland, namely Wester Ross. But more of that in my next blog.

I woke up to clear blue skies which aren't necessarily good for photography but what the heck, I'd take this weather over the weather I had last year any day of the week. The only feasible way to get over to Ardnamurchan is via the Corran Ferry (about ten miles down the road from Fort William). Once across Loch Linnhe, I had a forty five mile drive; a thirty four mile section of which was on single track roads with passing places!

The worst part was from a village called Salen on Loch Sunart to The Natural History Centre at Glenmore which I should imagine was about ten miles in length and pure driving hell with one blind bend after another. A strong cup of coffee to mend shattered nerves went down a real treat in the small cafe at the Centre which, even though remote, was quite busy. The going from then on was a lot easier; the road was still single track but at least you could see a fair way ahead of you.

Sanna Bay didn't let me down in any way shape or form, you only have to look at the photos to see how beautiful it was. I had been there a good while, taken many shots and was making my way back to the car when I noticed something swimming in the bay. A man close by said he thought it was a minke whale but looking at the photos I took, I think it was more than likely to be a dolphin.

This was joined by another three who all headed towards a small group of canoeists and for the next ten minutes or so they swam among them as if playing with them. It was a fantastic moment and one that I shall never forget. I had always longed to see something like this and now that moment had finally arrived. Everyone on the beach was of the same mind and just stopped and watched what was happening. I was particularly proud of the photo I took of the girl stood on the rock with her camera because it seemed to capture that particular moment in time perfectly.

Feeling rather elated I went back to the car and continued to Ardnamurchan Point Lighthouse where again I got lucky with a photo. A fishing boat was heading across the sound and it was positioned perfectly with the islands of Rum and Egg behind it. Being the most westerly point of the mainland gave stunning and far reaching views all round and it was a great place to be. so much co that I sat on a rock with a cup of coffee and just took in the view. Whilst sitting there, I recalled the previous year when NATO was using the lighthouse as a marker for a low flying exercise. The noise of the planes constantly flying over was phenomenal and quite frightening which made it was easy to see where the term "shock and awe tactics" in war comes from.

Reluctantly, I started my long journey back which took me past the bottom end of Loch Shiel and on to the small village of Glenuig in Moidart which sits on the shore of Loch Ailort. I stopped off there for my first ever £5.00 pint of beer and it wasn't even served with a bloody smile! Feeling suitably refreshed and disgruntled, I carried on and soon hit the main road running from Mallaig to Fort Willam, getting back to the hotel at just after eight o'clock. A full day but a very rewarding one and one I wont forget for a long, long time.


McLean's Nose from Cnoc Breac, Ardnamurchan

Cnoc Breac sands

Mclean's Nose, Ardnamurchan

Sanna Bay

Sanna Bay

Sanna Bay

Sanna Bay

Sanna Bay

Sanna Bay

Sanna Bay

Dolphin in Sanna Bay

Dolphins in Sanna Bay

Ardnamurchan

Ardnamurchen Point Lighthouse

Ardnamurchen Point

Rum and Eigg from Ardnamurchen Point

Glenuig

Glenuig

Loch Ailort

No comments:

Post a Comment

Balmacara and Skye

 WE had a mixed week of weather but on the whole we managed to stay dry. The only wet day was our second day when Sal stayed in the cottage ...