Brimham Rocks

The formation of Brimham Rocks was caused by Millstone Grit being eroded over the centuries by water, glaciation and wind . Some have formed amazing shapes and many formations have been named, though imagination is required and the correct viewing angle is helpful. Examples include the Sphinx, the Watchdog, the Camel, the Turtle and the Dancing Bear. The area was recognized as being a Site of Special Scientific Interest (SSSI) in 1958.

I went there slap bang in the middle of the Summer holidays and the place was heaving. In fact I only just managed to get a parking place. It took some doing but I think I have manage to come up with a series of photos which makes it look as though I had the place almost to myself although I had a long wait sometimes as kids like nothing better than to clamber to the top of the rocks. I firmly believe that they have as much right or maybe more right, to enjoy these places as I have to photograph them. If going to Brimham Rocks (or anywhere like that) gets them interested in the great outdoors; which they carry on to adulthood, then all well and good.

On my way home I called in The Red Lion at Burnsall for a pint and sat in their beer garden which is situated right next to the River Wharfe. The sun was getting low and the shadows were getting longer but there couldn't be any better place to just sit, relax and watch the day draw to it's close.

Rock Sculptures

Rock Sculptures

Rocks in woods

Rock Sculptures

Rock Sculptures

Rock Sculptures

Rock Sculptures

Looking up Nidderdale

Through the gap

Rock Sculptures

Rock Sculptures

Rock Sculptures

Rock Sculptures

Rock Sculptures

Rock Sculptures

Dancing Bear Rock Sculptures

Dancing Bear

Rock Sculptures

The Watchdog

Foxgloves

Hedgerow

Light ob grasses

Rock Sculptures



Sticky Bubd

Rock Sculptures


No comments:

Post a Comment

Balmacara and Skye

 WE had a mixed week of weather but on the whole we managed to stay dry. The only wet day was our second day when Sal stayed in the cottage ...