Back in the Lakes.

Well here we are, back in The Lake District. This was my first Lakeland stroll of the year with my mate Dave and his dog Sammy. It is one of the easiest walks you will find in these parts and it is one of the most beautiful. It is also a walk I often do either to end the season or to start a new one and, if I recall rightly, it is the first walk I ever did in the Lakes. I always remember that day because I started off in a nice new pair of white trainers. Needless to say, they weren't that colour by the time I had finished!

The walk starts at Stonethwaite and is just a circular route to the first bridge crossing of Langstrath Beck and can be done either way but I prefer doing it anti-clockwise as you have a fine view of Borrowdale on the way back. Langstrath means "Long Valley" and this certainly lives up to its name, being six miles in length before it is abruptly ended by Esk Pike.

The walk goes along ancient byways, through beautiful woodlands, follows fast flowing becks and the views of the surrounding fells are spectacular. The head of the walk is very wet though so you have to do a fair bit of bog hopping but it doesn't last for too long. As I said, the walk is never too far away from either Stonethwaite Beck or Langstrath Beck so you get to see plenty of cascades which, after rain, can be very lively.

For those who like that sort of thing, there is also a handy pub right at the end of the walk but never do the walk on a Monday as the pub is closed that day. It was good to be back in my beloved Lake District and to meet up with the many friends I have made over the years.


Eagle Crag

Stonethwaite hamlet.

Borrowdale valley

Signs of a wet winter

Borrowdale valley

Footpath in to Langstrathdale.

Eagle Crag

Cascade, Langstrath Beck

Herdwicks

Cascade, Langstrath Beck

Cascade, Langstrath Beck

Langstrath beck

Borrowdale

Watersmeet, Borrowdale

No comments:

Post a Comment

Balmacara and Skye

 WE had a mixed week of weather but on the whole we managed to stay dry. The only wet day was our second day when Sal stayed in the cottage ...