Lowther Castle reopening


There has been a fair bit of work done on the Courtyard area of the Castle since my last visit and they have made a very good job of it. The cafe has been revamped and a magnificent modern chandelier is in place along with new tables and chairs in the courtyard for the cafe's use. Plus plenty of general public seating has been added along with trees but pride of place goes to The Lowther Growing Egg which is a large framed egg planted with flowers which I presume will be added to throughout the year. It has all been tastefully done and gives the wow effect to the first time visitor.

Buying my yearly pass was the best thing I did last year. It gets me out and about plus the Castle and grounds are the perfect place to go with my camera as no two visits are ever the same. At this time of year there is a stunning display of daffodils and in the summer months the wild hay meadows will come in to their own with a colourful display of summer blooms such as poppies, cornflowers and ox-eye daisies.

I had a close encounter with a heron up by the pond but the only photo I managed to take was of its backside as it flew off which is usual for me! Also the rockery was beginning to come back to life and had plenty of colour in it. It can look a bit uninteresting and bare in the winter months.

All in all it was good to return and, I'm glad to say, the coffee and food was still top notch.
 
New Courtyard gates

Courtyard

The Lowther Growing Egg

Courtyard tables

Cafe lighting

Courtyard

Daffodils

Lowther Castle

Bank of daffodils and castle

Bank of daffodils

Lowther Castle gardens

Blossom 

Lowther Castle Gardens

The Rockery

The Rockery

The Rockery

The Rockery

Tree-lined Avenue

The Lowther Growing Egg

No comments:

Post a Comment

Balmacara and Skye

 WE had a mixed week of weather but on the whole we managed to stay dry. The only wet day was our second day when Sal stayed in the cottage ...