Back to The Lakes and a walk up Grange Fell


It was less than a week after returning from my Highlands trip and I was out and about in Borrowdale. How privileged am I? I had intended to just follow the ancient bridleway from Rosthwaite over to Watendlath but at the top of the pass, I decide to head right and go up Grange Fell (or Brund Fell or Jopplety How) as it is also known instead.

It must have been twenty years since I was last up these parts and so, with a fine clear sunny day, I plumped for some mountain views as opposed to the valley and tarn down at Watendlath. Putting the weather aside, I couldn't have picked a better time of year as the entire tops of the fell was a carpet of heather.

The climb was by no means hard but the hot sun did slow me down somewhat. Unusually for me, I had prepared myself for the day and had brought a packed lunch and a drink. I found a nice comfy spot amongst the heather and sat and ate my scram on the top of the fel; looking south to the head of Borrowdale with the Scafell Range and Great Gable beyond.

With most people heading for the high fells and honeypots these days, I found myself having the entire fell top to myself. It was their loss because as you can see from the photos there can't be many more beautiful places in Lakeland. Haystacks and maybe Walla Crag immediately spring to mind as being tops that could be put in the this category but both of those would have been crammed with people on a day like this.

I reckon I spent a good half hour sitting and admiring the all round view. As I previously said, the high fells of Lakeland and the head of Borrowdale were to the south and, as if that wasn't good enough, Derwentwater backed by Skiddaw and Blencathra were to the north. Dalehead and the North Western Fells were just across the valley and they completed my view perfectly.

The walk back down was a bit of a slog plus the sun was in my face and at its hottest. There wasn't much cover so it was a relief to get back down to valley level and the car. It was still only early afternoon and I had plenty of time to do more if I'd have wanted but as my day had been more or less perfect, I just opted to return to the site and have an ice cold beer or two and relax.

Happy Days.
Looking back to Johnny Wood

Bridleway to Watendlath

Borrowdale Valley and Dalehead

Bridleway to Watendlath

Rosthwaite in the Borrowale Valley

Bridleway to Watendlath

Bridleway to Watendlath

Foxgloves

Bridleway to Watendlath

Bridleway to Watendlath

Distant Scafells and Great Gable

Grange Fell

Grange Fell top

Grange Fell top

Grange Fell top

Grabe Fell Summit

Grange Fell top

1 comment:

  1. What a beautiful park of the Lake District, Norman! And your photos give it full justice.

    ReplyDelete

Balmacara and Skye

 WE had a mixed week of weather but on the whole we managed to stay dry. The only wet day was our second day when Sal stayed in the cottage ...