Buttermere Reflections

Just occasionally the weather in The Lake District plays ball with you and this was one of those occasions. I've learnt from past experience that calm evenings do not always mean calm water, in fact they very rarely do.

I've driven down Borrowdale and over The Hosister Pass dozens of times with the hope of finding a still Buttermere and have always been let down. Tonight was the exception though and my first glimpse of the head of the lake revealed perfect glassy reflections.

I must admit I did illegally parked my car, blocking the entrance to a field but it was only for a short time plus, at that time of night, I didn't think it would be needed. A quick walk down to the shore and the magical sight was there before my very eyes. I quickly fired off about a dozen shots and then retreated back to the car and set off to try my luck at the village end of the lake.

As my photos show, I only just made it in time. A slight breeze had started to get up and already the centre of the lake had ripples on it. In a mad rush. I made for the sole shoreline tree which seems to lose a few more branches every time I visit. I suppose the day will inevitably come when it finally finally gives up the ghost and admits defeat to the Lakeland weather and that will be a sad day.

I took a few more shots from further along the shore before the midges attacked which was to be my signal to retreat back to the village and the car.

I was very pleased with the photos and had hopefully put my Buttermere reflection obsession back to bed for a few years!

Haystacks reflection

Haystacks and High Crag reflections

Buttermere Pines

Shoreline Reflection

Shoreline Reflection

Lone Tree, Buttermere

Lone Tree, Buttermere

Buttermere

Buttermere

Buttermere

Shoreline Reflection

Making Hay, Buttermere Village

No comments:

Post a Comment

Balmacara and Skye

 WE had a mixed week of weather but on the whole we managed to stay dry. The only wet day was our second day when Sal stayed in the cottage ...