Staying Local

Well how life has changed since my last blog. We have now entered lockdown because of the virus which means we can only leave our homes for exercise and food shopping. I did start off just doing walks around the village and mainly at night when there would be no one around. This soon got boring and was starting to do me more harm mentally than good so I decided to head out into the semi-rural area of the village where I hadn't really walked for the past 25yrs.

The only way which it had changed was with the building of the modern estate of 98 houses at the end of my road. Instead of going straight on to the path I had to walk around the monstrosity as it was still being built and had a fence surrounding it. Once past, I was in open countryside and had far-reaching views up to Queensbury and behind to Thornton and Allerton. I could slightly vary the route if I wished but not by much.To avoid any road walking, I usually retraced my footsteps once I reached the road back in to Clayton.

I suppose it helped to keep me sane and I did enjoy it but it wasn't the same as walking in The Dales and Lakes. I met many horses, saw some lovely sunsets and had the occasional friendly chat with fellow walkers which helped to keep the spirits up.

Also the weather was very kind as we had the best spring I that can remember. Lots of dry sunny days gave an opportunity to get the gardening done and also sit outside and enjoy it. I was just glad that I had retired as I was informed by friends that the virus hit work quite badly and people were taken very ill.

Two holidays have had to be cancelled; one in Somerset and one in Wales and they have had to be re-scheduled for next year. Also it meant that I hadn't been able to have any contact with Sal except by computer and phone, which was quiet hard. Still I survived and there were many people who were in a much worse position than me so I count my blessings for that.






























No comments:

Post a Comment

Balmacara and Skye

 WE had a mixed week of weather but on the whole we managed to stay dry. The only wet day was our second day when Sal stayed in the cottage ...