Coffee and a stroll by Whelpo Beck

Back up in The Lakes and this time I'm on my own because Sal has gone to Sheffield to spend some time with her mum. I didn't fancy driving too far and also fancied a coffee so, after racking my brains for a few minutes, I came up with Priest's Mill Cafe and Caldbeck. I certainly don't feel comfortable going in to Keswick or any of the other hotspots at the moment so The Northern lakes was the obvious choice.

The coffee touched the spot as did the slice of carrot cake I treated myself to. The obvious walk from Caldbeck is to follow Cald Beck and Whelpo Beck through the gorge known as The Howk and carry on as far as Whelpo Bridge. The walk passes many cascades, goes through native woodlands, passes wildflower meadows and every step is an absolute joy. The only downside is that you either have to retrace your steps or come back via the road. I opted for the second option as its a pretty quiet road and you get back in no time at all. Looking at the OS map, there is a bridleway back which is just a bit higher up the fell side which I'll have a look at that next time I go.

The Howk was one of the most northerly of more than 100 bobbin mills in Cumbria.The fast flowing rivers of the Lake District being ideal as a source of power for the mills. At one time Lakeland mills accounted for about half the bobbins produced in Britain. The Howk mill also made handles for picks, washing dollies and cartwheel spokes, with the hardwood coppiced from around Caldbeck and stored in this large two storey coppice shed. The mill made bobbins for the textile industry from 1857 until 1924 and it had the largest waterwheel in the country which was 3 feet wide and 42 feet in diameter. 
 
The weather was really gorgeous throughout the walk and I really enjoted it, the coffee and cake were just the icing on the cake.
 
 
Priest's Mill

Cald Beck Cascade

Cald Beck Cascade

Cald Beck Cascade

Cald Beck

Ruined outbuilding

Path to The Howk

Whelpo Beck

Whelpo Beck

Whelpo Beck

Whelpo Beck

Footpath to Whelpo

Whelpo Beck

Fell Pony, Whelpo

The Howk

The Howk

No comments:

Post a Comment

Balmacara and Skye

 WE had a mixed week of weather but on the whole we managed to stay dry. The only wet day was our second day when Sal stayed in the cottage ...