Glen Etive

I had a free window before the start of my radiotherapy so headed off to the Highlands for a few days. I managed to get a room at The Moorings Hotel at Banavie which is situated right next to Neptune's Staircase on The Caledonian Canal. It's not cheap but I can afford it so why not?

The Staircase raises the canal by 19m (62ft) over a quarter of a mile of continuous masonry and takes around 90 minutes for a boat to travel up or down the locks. It was built by Thomas Telford between 1803 and 1822 and is the longest staircase lock in Scotland. It is a great location to enjoy ‘gongoozling’ the boats as they travel up and down the lock flight! Fortunately my room overlooked the locks so I got a grandstand seat.

I made good progress travelling up so I decided to have a drive down Glen Etive as I hadn't been down there for years. It is a long road, which goes on for some 14 miles, so I limited myself to going just as far as the first, unsightly hydro-electric works. They are under construction at the moment and planning permission has been given for seven in total. I stopped at the first one which was being built across the Allt a Chaorainn and the land surrounding it has been totally decimated. The constructors had made an utter mess of this once beautiful glen.

I took quite a lot of photos of the many cascades and waterfalls in the glen and also of the surrounding hills and woodlands. Due to recent dry weather, I even managed to get to the falls on the River Coupall and take a shot of the classic, much photographer Buachaille Etive Mor which normally would have been a mud bath. The usually glutinous peat was pretty dry albeit a bit spongy.

My drive through Glen Coe was very busy so I didn't stop. The sunny weather had brought all the visitors out and all the car parks looked to be full. I arrived at the hotel about four o'clock unpacked and had a nice cool lager sat outside, just watching the world go by.


River Coupall

Buachaille Etive Mor

Buachaille Etive Mor

River Coupall

River Coupall Falls

River Etive

Glen Etive

River Etive

Glen Etive

Glen Etive

River Etive

River Etive

Glen Etive

River Etive

Glen Etive

Glen Etive

River Etive

Glen Etive


No comments:

Post a Comment

Balmacara and Skye

 WE had a mixed week of weather but on the whole we managed to stay dry. The only wet day was our second day when Sal stayed in the cottage ...