Coigash

Highlands holiday - Day 6


Day six brought better weather although it did let itself down around the Ullapool area. So much so that it made me have a change of itinerary. Sitting in a layby with the rain lashing down I decided to head coastwards into Coigash instead of going further north into Inverpolly. It might not have been such and exciting day out and would certainly have less photographic opportunities but I just thought I would be wasting my time going up there.

Gairloch Harbour


Loch Maree from Poolewe


The route up was via Poolewe, Little Gruiniard Bay and then inland through Dundonnell and across to Loch Broom and Ullapool. An Tealloch was nowhere to be seen, this is the third time I've been this way and have yet to see what most people say is Scotland's finest mountain. There are a couple of fine waterfalls in the area which I managed to snap even though it was very windy and wet.


Little Gruinard Bay


Little Gruinard Bay


looking down on Little Gruinard Bay


Waterfall, Dundonnell


Waterfall, Dundonnell


From Ullapooll I headed north and then followed the scenic b road which runs through the wide valley between Ben More Coigash and Stac Pollaidh by which time the weather had changed from really heavy rain to just showers. This area is a mass of Lochs and Lochans and with brighter skies ahead, my spirits began to lift.


Achiltibuie


I eventually arrived at the coast at a place called Achiltibuie which overlooked the Summer Isles and followed the road round to Altandhu where I got a fabulous view back over the Summer Isles. It is one of those views which just makes you have to stand and take in the sheer beauty of it all. The weather and light were kind to me as well with the sun glistening in the waters.


Achiltibuie


Achiltibuie


Summer Isles


Summer Isles


From the viewpoint of the Summer Isles, you can make out a small harbour and after consulting my map I decided to back track to try and find it. Its a small fishing croft called Little Dornie, a lovely peaceful little spot. Like most of the places around these parts, it seemed to have seen better days but made for a couple of excellent photographs.


Little Dornie


Little Dornie


It was then back up north to the Braes of Achnahaird where I parked up and walked down to the bay. The place is quite spectacular with its rocky outcrops, beautiful beach and views across into Inverpolly and the hills Stac Polliadh, Suilivan, Cul Mor and Cul Beag. The weather was kind and the sun actually came out.


Inverpolly


Inverpolly from Braes of Achnahaird, taken last year



Achnahaird Bay


Achnahaird Bay


That was the farthest I ventured. I came back the same way, stopping off at the chippy in Ullapool for my tea. As usual the fish was beautiful but most of the chips hit the rubbish bin, no doubt the seagulls would have been at them once I'd left.


Little Gruinard Bay


It started throwing it down after I had left Ullapool, An Tealloch was still in cloud and I stopped off at Gruiniard Bay on my way back. It's a place I love, it is always deserted and the wind just flies in from the Atlantic and really blows the cobwebs way.

Then it was back to Poolewe where the sun  broke through for an instant giving a lovely rainbow and by the time I arrived back in Gairloch the cloud had broken somewhat and I was greeted to a beautiful sunset. A perfect ending to a very interesting day.


Rainbow above Poolewe


Loch Tollaidh above Gairloch


Gairloch Sunset.

5 comments:

  1. thanks very much for this norm it was very interesting and i am sure we stood in the same spot for a lot of those shots, i love that part of scotland and i to have not seen an teallach clear since i was a teenager, hopefully we will be rewarded with other trips we will take in our lives it is an honour to have you as a friend norm

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for visiting my blog Norm. We don't live all that far apart do we? Your photographs are absolutely stunning - really enjoyed the show. We have rarely been to Scotland - the dreaded midge spot me a mile off - and although I like the sound of the isles I am a terrible sea traveller, so we tend to go away by air. I love the quality of light in those photos though. Call again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm Todd the Dog and I have randomly found your nice blog post. The human who created me, Wildago, is from Nova Scotia. She adores your photographs, especially because they remind her of home, but also because they are amazing shots.

    ReplyDelete
  4. thank you Todd the dog, maybe Wildago would like to see my Flickr photos http://www.flickr.com/photos/nurmanman/

    ReplyDelete

Balmacara and Skye

 WE had a mixed week of weather but on the whole we managed to stay dry. The only wet day was our second day when Sal stayed in the cottage ...