Heading North

 Well today was the day which I though might never come this year. Even the week before we set off for Scotland I still had doubts that the trip would go ahead due to the covid-19 pandemic. In fact it wasn't until we left the caravan on the Wednesday morning that I started to relax and realise that we were going to get back to Badachro and the lovely Blacksmith's Cottage. Our three nights in Fort William had been nice and we had visited some ace places but the icing on the cake as far as out trip was concerned was the stay in Wester Ross with its breathtaking coastal and mountain scenery.

There were a few ways we could have gone up there but I opted for the slightly longer scenic route; heading towards The Kyle of Lochalsh and then going on The Wester Ross Coastal Route, most of which goes inland! I knew Sal would like Plockton so we broke our journey up by paying it a visit. It was only a few miles off our intended route anyway and gave us both a chance to stretch our legs. It sits on a sheltered bay just a few miles from the Kyle of Lochalsh and commands stunning views overlooking Loch Carron. It's where all of the photos of the day were taken as well. 

We also stopped for a coffee at The Waterdside Cafe in Lochcarron village and did some food shopping before heading off on the final leg of our journey. It had been a long day and I was a bit on auto pilot until we hit Kinlochewe. 

It was then just a case of following the banks of Loch Maree which in my opinion is the most beautiful Loch in Scotland. We passed The Loch Maree Hotel where I have stayed on many occasions and I felt quite sad at seeing it closed. I know the owners had it on the market and I fear the Covid pandemic has been the final nail in the coffin for them.

The turn off for Badachro soon appeared and was accompanied by rousing cheers all round. The boot was emptied, food put away, cases taken upstairs and an alcoholic drink was poured for the two of us. Sal went for a lie down and a chill and I took my beer out into our garden which overlooked Loch Gairloch where I let out a big sigh of relief and just took in the stunning view.

Plockton Jetty

Loch Carron

Loch Carron


Loch Carron

Loch Carron

Old Harbour, Plockton

Lavatera, Plockton
 
Arrived at last

No comments:

Post a Comment

Balmacara and Skye

 WE had a mixed week of weather but on the whole we managed to stay dry. The only wet day was our second day when Sal stayed in the cottage ...